Substantial research illustrates the clear connection between student attendance and student achievement. Our attendance policy supports a district-wide initiative to improve student attendance and consequently student achievement. We ask that all parents and guardians work with us to ensure that students attend school and participate in the irreplaceable educational experiences created by our staff.
Any student attending Kingsway Regional High School full-time, who exceeds eight (8) unexcused days absent in a school year and any student attending Kingsway Regional High School on a shared basis at a vocational school who exceeds six (6) unexcused days absent in a school year will be denied credit for all courses taken at Kingsway Regional High School.
The following reasons are considered an excused absence upon verification of documentation (documentation should be submitted immediately following an absence):
- Medical quarantine and days relating to sickness/wellbeing as documented by a licensed medical practitioner specifying date(s) of absence. Please note vacation days and sick days without a note from a licensed medical practitioner are considered unexcused.
- Documented chronic illness verified by a medical doctor’s note, provided a parent note is presented within five (5) days after the student’s return to school.
- Death in the immediate family.
- Religious holidays according to N.J.S.A 18A:46-14-15 and N.J.A.C. 6:20-1-3 (j), upon presentation of a written excuse signed by a parent or guardian on return to school.
- Upon review and prior approval from Administration, college visitation or a meeting with a military recruiter will be excused upon receipt of proper documentation (up to 3 days per school year only for students in grades 11 and 12).
- Driver’s Test, doctor/dentist appointment, or job interview will be considered an A.M. or P.M. excused absence pending proper documentation.
- Take Your Child to Work Day
- Court Ordered Appearance
- Emergencies or other unusual circumstances will be considered at the discretion of the Principal.
REPORTING STUDENT ABSENCES
Parents/Guardians should notify the Attendance Office of any student absence. Please include the first and last name of the student, grade level, and reason for the absence.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 856-467-3300, then press 1
- A School Messenger notification is sent out regarding every student absence, even if the Attendance Office has already been notified. The notification is sent via the option chosen by the parent/guardian for all other notifications: phone, text and/or email.
- Students that are absent from school may not partake in any after school activity.
LATE ARRIVALS, EARLY DISMISSALS, & RETURNING TO SCHOOL PROCEDURES
- First period begins at 7:24am. Students are considered late if they are not in their classroom when the first bell rings at 7:24am.
- Students that are late must sign in with the Attendance Officer in the North Main Entrance. They will receive a late pass, which they will then give to their teacher. Parents/guardians do not need to accompany their student into the building to sign them in.
- Students who are late to class cause considerable disruption to the instruction and learning that is taking place. For that reason, each time a student is late they will receive five (5) discipline points. Once a student reaches twenty-five points, he/she will become ineligible for athletics, extra-curricular activities and all school related functions until the student’s point total reduces to fifteen points and the student has gone forty-five days without earning any additional points/discipline.
- Tardies are only considered excused for situations outlined in the Attendance Policy.
When picking up a student prior to regular dismissal time, advanced notification is requested to minimize disruption in the classroom. Parents/guardians or the person designated to pick up the student must always come into the building and show their ID to the Attendance Officer. Please note that a student cannot leave the school without permission from the parent or guardian even if they are 18 years of age. The only exception is if the student is 18 years old and is emancipated from the parent/guardian.
The procedure for Early Dismissal is as follows:
Option 1 (Preferred):
- Send a note in to the Attendance Office with your student with the date and time of the pick-up as well as the name of the person who will be picking them up.
- The Attendance Officer will give a pass to your student to be in the lobby of the North Main Entrance at the time of pickup.
- The parent/guardian can send an email to email@example.com or call 856-467-3300 x4220 to inform the Attendance Officer of the student name, date and time of the pick-up as well as the name of the person who will be picking them up.
- The Attendance Officer will make every effort to get a pass to your student to be in the lobby of the North Main Entrance at the time of pickup.
RETURNING TO SCHOOL
Students, who are returning to school after being signed out earlier in the day, must sign in with the Attendance Officer and receive a pass to return to class. Please provide the office with documentation (doctor’s note, etc.) to have the time out of class excused (time away from school is excused per the Attendance Policy).
Please be advised that vacation taken while school is in session will be considered as an unexcused absence. However, if the vacation is unavoidable, the student should follow the procedure below:
- At least one week prior to vacation, written notice of the said vacation must be submitted to the Attendance Office. Once the form is submitted, a Vacation Notification Form will be provided to the student. Note: A copy of the form is available electronically through the Parent Portal of PowerSchool.
- Once the Vacation Notification Form is filled out, the student is to obtain signatures from each of his/her teachers and obtain any assignments that he/she will be missing while away. Teachers will initial this form to confirm talking with the student. Work given to the student prior to the vacation must be completed upon returning to school or per the arrangements made with teachers prior to leaving.
- Once all signatures are received, the form is to be returned to the Attendance Office for processing. Once processed, a copy of the completed vacation form will be given to the student to take home and a copy will be placed in his/her file.