The State of New Jersey has changed how students will register for employment.
As of June 1st 2023, the process for working papers has gone
completely digital and is no longer administered by schools.
Here’s how it works:
1. Minors and their employers each go to MyWorkingPapers.nj.gov to start.
2. The employer is emailed a unique 8-digit code they share with every minor
3. The minor fills out their working papers application online, entering the
employer’s unique 8-digit code. The minor adds their caregiver’s name and
4. The employer is emailed when a minor applies for working papers using
unique 8-digit code assigned to their business. The employer clicks the link
in the email to add job duties and hours and give their OK.
5. The caregiver is emailed that a working papers application has been started
by a minor in their care. The caregiver clicks the link in the email to give
their OK and provide the minor’s proof of age.
6. The minor and their employer each receive an email when the caregiver
takes action on the working papers application.
7. The minor can begin working — unless they receive an email rejecting their
application. (Notification of approval/rejection can be expected within 24
hours of the caregiver taking action.)