Kingsway Public School students in grades 7-11 have the great opportunity to utilize their district-issued Chromebook for learning during the summer months. Students are encouraged to use their devices over the summer to complete summer assignments and to pursue hobbies and other interests as long as those pursuits would be appropriate on a school-issued device. Even if a student does not intend to use the device over the summer, families will need to store the device at home. Keeping the device over the summer guarantees that the student will have access to their Chromebook on the very first day of school.
To assist you, the district is providing the following tips for summer Chromebook use.
Summer Care Details
- Keep Chromebooks away from pets or young children.
- Avoid heat and direct sunlight. Do not leave the Chromebook in a car.
- Avoid liquids – beware of wet swimsuits and towels.
- Keep Chromebooks plugged into a surge protector when they are not in use.
- Lack of charging may result in damage to the battery so please keep it plugged in when not in use.
- There will be limited IT/Technical support over the summer but if you have a device issue, please submit a helpdesk ticket from our website here.
Protecting your Chromebook from damage
- Use your Chromebook on a table or a desk and keep your work area clean and clear. Using your Chromebook on your bed or lap is not recommended.
- Make sure your charger is routed in a way that it will not be accidentally tripped on or pulled out, and keep your Chromebook charged so it is ready to use.
- Keep food and drinks away from your Chromebook . Spilling drinks or food crumbs on your Chromebook can cause it to be damaged and stop working.
- Avoid placing your Chromebook on the floor or furniture like beds and couches. This will help prevent it from being accidentally stepped or sat on.
- Make sure there is nothing in the way when you close the lid to your Chromebook . Even small items like pencils or erasers can damage the screen if they are on the keyboard area when you close the lid.
- Never place objects on top of your Chromebook . Excessive pressure from the weight of objects can damage the screen of your Chromebook , even if it is closed.
- Close your Chromebook if you are going to move it or carry it. Picking your Chromebook up by the screen can cause serious damage to the screen.
- Never place your Chromebook in a book bag with large books or other heavy objects. Use a bag designed for protecting computers and always handle the bag containing your Chromebook with care.
- Avoid using your Chromebooks in rooms where pets stay. Pets and pet hair may cause unintentional damage to your Chromebook .
Cleaning your Chromebook
- Turn off the computer.
- Disconnect the AC adapter.
- Use a soft, moist cloth. Do not use liquid or aerosol cleaners.
- Use a can of compressed air to remove dust from vents, fans and beneath the keys on your keyboard. Make sure your computer is off and unplugged. Hold the can of compressed air upright, and use short bursts of air to blow out the dust. Make sure to follow the manufacturer instructions for using compressed air.
- To disinfect your computer, use 70% isopropyl alcohol cleaning wipes to gently clean hard, nonporous external surfaces. Do not use ethyl alcohol or other liquid cleaners.
Caring for your Battery
Charging the battery
- Only use the AC adapter that came with your computer.
- Plug the AC adapter into the computer, and connect it to a power outlet.
- You can continue to operate your computer on AC power while your battery is charging.
- Turning your computer off while the battery is charging will significantly reduce charging time.
Optimizing battery life
- Disconnect accessories that are not being used (e.g. a USB disk drive), as they can continue to draw power.
- Stop charging the battery once it reaches 100% capacity, and do not recharge the battery until the battery level drops below 70%. Excessive recharging decreases the battery life.
- If you plan to store the device for a long period of time, turn off the device, remove AC power and store the product at room temperature
- Do not charge the battery in temperatures above 35 °C (95 °F) or below 0 °C (32 °F). Charging in abnormally high or abnormally low temperatures can cause battery deformation or damage.