How Can Parents Protect Children?
Parents can take the following steps to encourage their children to avoid alcohol and drugs:
- Spend time together regularly.
- Listen and talk with your children. Try to understand the pressures placed on them and don't criticize their beliefs.
- Keep track of where your children are, what they are doing, and who their friends are.
- Get them involved in after-school activities, so they won't be able to just "hang out" with friends in the afternoon. This is when children are most likely to experiment.
- Praise or reward children often. If they feel good about themselves, they will be more confident and better able to resist peer pressure.
- Be a positive role model for your children. Don't abuse alcohol or drugs.
By. US Department of Education
A place for educators and parents to get information on marijuana's effects on the adolescent brain.
Few parents ever foresee heroin addiction for their adolescent/young adult children, but it happens all the time.
by: John Lee for www.choosehelp.com